Sunday, August 3, 2008

Artistic Genes


At last! And a little of 'backgrounds'.
Rima's Grandmother Lois, my Mother, painted & drew all her life as well as training to be a 'commercial artist' & a nurse before she married in NZ in 1943.
These are a few of her paintings (including a portrait of my Father Nigel). She used both oil & watercolour but was particularly drawn to watercolour.


Her Mother Elsie also painted - meticulous sea & landscape watercolours of South Africa, Western Australia & NZ.
Both of them always made their own greetings cards.
There are other artistic genes too.


My sister Judith, also an excellent watercolourist has a degree in furniture design & making.

Our Father, Nigel, woodturned in all his spare time, producing plates, bowls & trinket boxes from NZ native timbers.


On the other side of the family, Jim's brother Max went to Rochester Art School & was always 'making things'.
With his wife Valerie he made a model mole village with moving parts - this was a tourist attraction in a place called Molehill in Tasmania.



Their father James, a London policeman, often drew - detailed copies of Victorian engravings & would spend weeks on one drawing.

Intriguing - how much nature & how much nurture? Some of each? ...








7 comments:

Yoli said...

I see where Rima gets her talent. Just lovely.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I am a frequent visitor to your daughter's wonderful website and thought I'd stop in to say hello! Artistic genes, indeed! You have a most talented family!
Edward and I send you best wishes!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

The family gallery, what a treat.

Mo'a said...

I only just recently discovered your Daughter's blog...such a delight and how proud you must be.
Your work (collectively is wonderful and inspiring. I look forward to hearing about and seeing more of your art.
I am sure that genes have a lot to say in how artistic one is...my family is full of artists. We are from Iceland and I often joke that one can not throw a rock there without hitting an artist.
Best of luck in your new endeavors.

tut-tut said...

How wonderful to have such artists in the family and your own very evocative art for yourself . . . expression is so vital.

Rima Staines said...

Hello! Lovely to see Lois' paintings here...
I'm anxiously waiting for the next blog post! ;)
Much love xxx

Gretel said...

This lovely blog needs updating...please!